1. We play on school fields with the cooperation of the schools. That can be jeopardized by families and players leaving trash behind at practices or games. We had a report of a number of items of trash being left behind at Belview Elementary this weekend. Please be sure we leave the fields with everything you (and your child) came with.
2. There was a report of abusive language being used in a game involving a CSC and a NRU team. Please advise players that abusive language and actions can result in suspensions. Players who believe they are being targeted by that behavior should immediately inform their coach, who can inform the refs.
3. The weather forecast suggests that some practices could be at risk tonight and tomorrow. Coaches determine whether to cancel practices unless there is a field condition that warrants closing the entire field. If there is rain and a wet field, stay out of penalty boxes. This includes a prohibtion on scrimmages that would take players inside the penalty box. A bored goalie on a wet field is highly dangerous to that area.
1) If you play an interleague game with NRU, please confirm that our schedule and the posted schedule on www.nrusa.org do match. If they do not match, the teams will not be at the right location. Please notify me by Wednesday night if you see a discrepancy.
2) Kindergarten soccer has a 2 Maroon teams and 2 Red teams. One of each is based in Riner and one of each is based at East Mont.
3) Parent shirts are selling briskly but will end Sunday afternoon in order to be ready for Thursday, Sept. 20th and before the 3rd scheduled weekend of games. If you want to purchase a parent shirt (or grandparent shirt, etc), please go to our website to order.
In order to preserve the fields for the entirety of the season, we need all teams to stay out of the penalty box during the week. Goals need to be moved and anchored, particularly at CMS, so that we preserve the goal areas for a full season.
Thank you for your cooperation on this matter.
With rain expected today, this is a good time to refresh all families on our rain policies: For practices, the coach for the individual team makes the decision but must not play within 30 minutes or thunder or lightning. If a coach ignores this, parents should pull their player and contact me. This is an unwaivable SAFETY consideration. Two Texas soccer players were killed by lightning earlier this year. Whether the field is wet or not, no teams should be practicing or shooting at a goal in the penalty box unless it is a scrimmage. Teams can move and secure goals in other locations. This is the only way to keep the key part of the field in good condition for the entire season. CSC will make the call on games. For the Friday night games, a decision will be made approximately 4:00 p.m. For Saturday morning games, the decision will be made approximately 7:00 a.m. For games in Blacksburg, check www.nrusa.org.
We play in the rain UNLESS (1) there is thunder/lightning, (2) damaging to the fields, or (3) combined with cold weather that makes it too uncomfortable to play. If your game is in Blacksburg, check http://www.newriverunited.org for cancellations.
We post updates on cancellations at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday or by 4:00 p.m. on weekdays.
Every player at every age division is required to wear shin guards. Shin guards are to be worn under the socks. Each player should also have an age appropriate ball (Pre-K through U-8 size 3, U-10 size 4, U-13 and above size 5) and water at each game and practice. Cleats are recommended for U-8 and above and are optional for Pre-K and K.
Call for volunteers: CSC provides a framework for youth to play soccer, but it needs parent support to make it work. Below is a listing of a number of areas where parents can volunteer this season. Some are calls for one-time help; others are for the season.
1) Signs: If you see that a CSC sign is still up and can take it down along with the two posts and take to our office at 70 E. 1st St, please do so and e-mail me where it came from.
2) Fields: CMS2 and the U18 field will be marked at 9:00 a.m. Saturday, weather permitting. 3 volunteers are requested.
3) Trash: Here is a bureaucratic head scratcher: CMS will not empty trash cans on CMS fields. If you have a truck, and see a full trash bag sitting next to the fence, please consider loading it up to take to the dump. DO NOT complain to the school. We are fortunate to have the fields and do not want that jeopardized.
4) Lining fields: If your child’s team has a Thursday night practice on CPS, FBE, or CMS, consider contacting me to paint the lines. It is easy once the lines have been originally marked,m and gives a parent something to do during practice. Teams practicing on Thursdays need to make way for the line painters.
Finally. we have record numbers and significant field limitations. We are working to remedy that, with GSBC field scheduled for full opening in the spring, and a renovated Depot Street field expected to open next fall. Until then, space is tight, so please cooperate with teams that you are sharing space with.
Recreation schedules were just approved by NRU for our interleague games, so schedules for all divisions will hopefully be released by tomorrow. We had to wait on that because we have some coaches who coach both U10 or above, as well as U8 and below.
All levels of recreation soccer have been closed; We are no longer able to accept waitlist requests. Please check back in the Spring, and remember, register early to ensure your child is placed with a team.