1) If you play an interleague game with NRU, please confirm that our schedule and the posted schedule on www.nrusa.org do match. If they do not match, the teams will not be at the right location. Please notify me by Wednesday night if you see a discrepancy.
2) Kindergarten soccer has a 2 Maroon teams and 2 Red teams. One of each is based in Riner and one of each is based at East Mont.
3) Parent shirts are selling briskly but will end Sunday afternoon in order to be ready for Thursday, Sept. 20th and before the 3rd scheduled weekend of games. If you want to purchase a parent shirt (or grandparent shirt, etc), please go to our website to order.
We still need one more volunteer for the Fall 2012 season. If your child has a practice at CPS on Thursday nights, please consider volunteering to re-paint the fields during your child’s practice. Now that the lines are measured, it only takes about 20 minutes to re-paint. We supply the striper and the paint. It is very easy to accomplish and we’d be ever so grateful if you could help up with this task.
We hope you had a good first week of play. If there was a problem, let Dennis know now so he can try to fix it. We did have an interleague schedule problem with one U13G game involving the purple team. If your team is ever scheduled to play an NRU team, please compare your schedule with the one posted on www.nrusa.org. If you see differences, contact Dennis. We are now aware that NRU shifted all U13G game times at CMS in error, and that will have to be fixed this week, so we are aware of that glitch.
If any teams still need uniforms or socks, please contact Dennis ASAP. The final shirt order is scheduled Monday if we don’t have the shirt in stock. We are aware that the Lime Kindergarten team needs one more shirt but we’ve not heard of any other shirt shortage.
If you were on the waiting list, we will be processing refunds for waiting list paid registrations this upcoming week.
In order to preserve the fields for the entirety of the season, we need all teams to stay out of the penalty box during the week. Goals need to be moved and anchored, particularly at CMS, so that we preserve the goal areas for a full season.
Thank you for your cooperation on this matter.
With rain expected today, this is a good time to refresh all families on our rain policies: For practices, the coach for the individual team makes the decision but must not play within 30 minutes or thunder or lightning. If a coach ignores this, parents should pull their player and contact me. This is an unwaivable SAFETY consideration. Two Texas soccer players were killed by lightning earlier this year. Whether the field is wet or not, no teams should be practicing or shooting at a goal in the penalty box unless it is a scrimmage. Teams can move and secure goals in other locations. This is the only way to keep the key part of the field in good condition for the entire season. CSC will make the call on games. For the Friday night games, a decision will be made approximately 4:00 p.m. For Saturday morning games, the decision will be made approximately 7:00 a.m. For games in Blacksburg, check www.nrusa.org.
We play in the rain UNLESS (1) there is thunder/lightning, (2) damaging to the fields, or (3) combined with cold weather that makes it too uncomfortable to play. If your game is in Blacksburg, check http://www.newriverunited.org for cancellations.
We post updates on cancellations at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday or by 4:00 p.m. on weekdays.
Every player at every age division is required to wear shin guards. Shin guards are to be worn under the socks. Each player should also have an age appropriate ball (Pre-K through U-8 size 3, U-10 size 4, U-13 and above size 5) and water at each game and practice. Cleats are recommended for U-8 and above and are optional for Pre-K and K.
Call for volunteers: CSC provides a framework for youth to play soccer, but it needs parent support to make it work. Below is a listing of a number of areas where parents can volunteer this season. Some are calls for one-time help; others are for the season.
1) Signs: If you see that a CSC sign is still up and can take it down along with the two posts and take to our office at 70 E. 1st St, please do so and e-mail me where it came from.
2) Fields: CMS2 and the U18 field will be marked at 9:00 a.m. Saturday, weather permitting. 3 volunteers are requested.
3) Trash: Here is a bureaucratic head scratcher: CMS will not empty trash cans on CMS fields. If you have a truck, and see a full trash bag sitting next to the fence, please consider loading it up to take to the dump. DO NOT complain to the school. We are fortunate to have the fields and do not want that jeopardized.
4) Lining fields: If your child’s team has a Thursday night practice on CPS, FBE, or CMS, consider contacting me to paint the lines. It is easy once the lines have been originally marked,m and gives a parent something to do during practice. Teams practicing on Thursdays need to make way for the line painters.
Finally. we have record numbers and significant field limitations. We are working to remedy that, with GSBC field scheduled for full opening in the spring, and a renovated Depot Street field expected to open next fall. Until then, space is tight, so please cooperate with teams that you are sharing space with.
Recreation schedules were just approved by NRU for our interleague games, so schedules for all divisions will hopefully be released by tomorrow. We had to wait on that because we have some coaches who coach both U10 or above, as well as U8 and below.
All levels of recreation soccer have been closed; We are no longer able to accept waitlist requests. Please check back in the Spring, and remember, register early to ensure your child is placed with a team.