As we start another fun season of soccer, it’s important to take a few moments to review the signs and symptoms of a concussion, just to be on the safe side.
Concussions affect both boys and girls; while girls have a higher documented rate of concussion at 36 per 100,000. Most soccer related concussions are caused by hard falls to the ground, collisions with other players, or even when attempting to head the ball but rather making contact with the opposing player.
We have a number of resources available to you throughout our site. Parents should start here. Coaches should start here. For now, here is a quick look at what concussion symptoms look like and what steps to take if you think a player has sustained one.
1) If you play an interleague game with NRU, please confirm that our schedule and the posted schedule on www.nrusa.org do match. If they do not match, the teams will not be at the right location. Please notify me by Wednesday night if you see a discrepancy.
2) Kindergarten soccer has a 2 Maroon teams and 2 Red teams. One of each is based in Riner and one of each is based at East Mont.
3) Parent shirts are selling briskly but will end Sunday afternoon in order to be ready for Thursday, Sept. 20th and before the 3rd scheduled weekend of games. If you want to purchase a parent shirt (or grandparent shirt, etc), please go to our website to order.
We still need one more volunteer for the Fall 2012 season. If your child has a practice at CPS on Thursday nights, please consider volunteering to re-paint the fields during your child’s practice. Now that the lines are measured, it only takes about 20 minutes to re-paint. We supply the striper and the paint. It is very easy to accomplish and we’d be ever so grateful if you could help up with this task.
Call for volunteers: CSC provides a framework for youth to play soccer, but it needs parent support to make it work. Below is a listing of a number of areas where parents can volunteer this season. Some are calls for one-time help; others are for the season.
1) Signs: If you see that a CSC sign is still up and can take it down along with the two posts and take to our office at 70 E. 1st St, please do so and e-mail me where it came from.
2) Fields: CMS2 and the U18 field will be marked at 9:00 a.m. Saturday, weather permitting. 3 volunteers are requested.
3) Trash: Here is a bureaucratic head scratcher: CMS will not empty trash cans on CMS fields. If you have a truck, and see a full trash bag sitting next to the fence, please consider loading it up to take to the dump. DO NOT complain to the school. We are fortunate to have the fields and do not want that jeopardized.
4) Lining fields: If your child’s team has a Thursday night practice on CPS, FBE, or CMS, consider contacting me to paint the lines. It is easy once the lines have been originally marked,m and gives a parent something to do during practice. Teams practicing on Thursdays need to make way for the line painters.
Finally. we have record numbers and significant field limitations. We are working to remedy that, with GSBC field scheduled for full opening in the spring, and a renovated Depot Street field expected to open next fall. Until then, space is tight, so please cooperate with teams that you are sharing space with.